Diem Brown

Dear reader,

Diem Brown is writing post for People.com and here is a piece she wrote this past week for them.

------------

We All Hit Speed Bumps in Life

Human compassion: We all have it, no matter what you have done or gone through in life. There comes a moment when human compassion takes over. You see with clear eyes that we all have had a "life speed bump" that we are dealing with. Yes, my speed bump is cancer, but everyone has a speed bump that they are trying to maneuver over.

At first in that giant backstage space I felt out of place and waaaay out of my league. I fully understand I am just some MTV reality girl with cancer, which in itself is a disease that touches soooo many people. I'm not trying to be some Hollywood actress, but I do think it's time someone blew a horn to raise awareness of the kinks in our health system and to help find ways to make being a patient easier.

We all will be patients at some point or another. My second battle with ovarian cancer has made me want to be a patient advocate now more than ever. I want help find ways to fix problems in patient procedures and make decision-makers more aware of the actual people struggling behind the medical files.

So please tweet me @DiemBrown or write comments below on situations you or a loved one have dealt with while sick that you wish would change. On the other hand, also please write any amazing experiences you or a loved on have had while sick that you wish would be the new standard of care.

Starting a conversation never hurts and maybe by collecting experiences we can help put faces on the health care debate and bring the focus back to the patients.


------------

She is an amazing strength to me - even as she is struggling, she is so strong and such an inspiration to me and to everyone. So lets raise awareness for cancer and for finding a cure. Out there is an answer - together we can find it.

Together we can give strength to those who are struggling and make a difference in ours and their lives.

Love,
Megan

Comments

Popular Posts