Service

Dear readers, 

Here is my latest entry for Living is So Big. 

------

  "Something that changed my life forever was choosing to get involved. 

I found the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention (AFSP) in May of 2012. I immediately contacted them asking how I could volunteer. They sent me a package of information explaining their mission and what they offer to others. 

I knew I wanted to help more. 

They often say you lose yourself when helping others. And I wanted to do that. 

In August of 2012, I participated in the Out of Darkness Walk in Salt Lake City, Utah. It helps raise money and awareness for suicide prevention. You are also able to walk in remember of the loved you have lost to suicide. 

I also have been able to participate in my local chapter  of AFSP; which taught me that when you are able to relate to someone who is struggling with the same thing you are - walls are broken down and barriers are removed. 

At the Out of Darkness walk, I was able to meet the members of Living Is So Big. They taught me just not about suicide prevention, but about life appreciation. What do you have to live for? What makes you happy? How do you appreciate life? It changed how I viewed things; it also inspired me to keep helping.... 

 Then I created a blog which focuses on suicide prevention, life appreciation, giving back, and realizing your potential. I called the blog 'We Laugh.' (we-laugh.blogspot.com). This just not helped others, it helped me. When I am having a hard time or a bad day, I look up positive stories that are posted or different quotes to read. 

Maybe helping out isn't creating a blog or joining an organization, helping out can mean baking cookies for an elderly person, mowing the yawn for a neighbor, giving a hug, a kind word spoken, or just being a friend. We can be the shoulder to cry on, the helping hand that is in need, or the listening ear. 

Mother Teresa said, "Give your hands to service and your hearts to love." Start today, put your hands to service, and lose yourself in the work.

------

Love, 
Megan

Comments

Popular Posts