Out of the Darkness Walk - Dallas, Texas


Dear readers,

This past weekend I was able to attend the Out of the Darkness Walk held in Dallas, Texas. I had been looking forward to this event for weeks and finally the day came around. We drove to Reverchon Park (Katy's Trail) in downtown Dallas. As I saw the first sign for the walk, my heart grew with excitement. I saw people walking in the direction to the park and my heart grew with gratitude. My heart continued to keep growing with happiness, with strength, with memories, and with a new sense of myself.


Hundreds of people walked for friends, family and even their own-self. They remembered those who they have lost by suicide and who have struggled with mental illness, such as depression. I walked in the memory of Nathan. I walked for the happiness he taught me, the friendship he showed me, and for the person he was. 
                          
There was a memory wall that you go to pin a picture of your loved one on. They had chalk so you could write a message to your them. Also, they had small blue and white flags to write a message in your loved one's honor. And then as we ended the walk, they had put those flags in the word 'Hope' formation. Because this is what the walk is for. It is for hope for the world to change, it is hope to stop suicide, it is hope to make a difference, it is hope to leave the world better than before!


The walk was about two miles long and we took up the entire trail. We raised over $130,000 for the American Foundation of Suicide Prevention! Isn't that so amazing? I can only imagine the difference these walks make! Remember when I attended the walk in Salt Lake City? They are held all over the country. People are coming together and it is truly making a difference. The AFSP recently came out with a goal to drop the rate of suicide by 20% by 2015!

We can do this - a change is happening! And it is amazing to be apart of this movement. Will you join me? Together we can do so much more than if we are alone. Everyone has a story, everyone has a struggle. If we are open to this change, if we are open to receive help, if we are open to let other's know of our struggles and our heartaches we can touch the people that need to hear it, that need to hear our testimony on this. If we not only share the struggles, but how we overcame those dark times then we can make the difference. I strongly believe in therapy. The group therapy that I attended after my friend's suicide was such a healing experience for me. There is strength in numbers and I've been apart of that strength. Change is happening and it's starting! I met wonderful people at this walk who shared their story of heartache and they also shared their story of hope. Hope in this cause, hope in their friends and family, and hope for change to happen! 

I'm so grateful that I attended the Out of the Darkness walk, the CEO of the AFSP, Robert Gebbia, even came to talk to us! He talked about the urgency of change, the goals that are set forth from the AFSP, and he also announced the next nation wide walk that will be held in Dallas in April! Do you know how excited I am for that? It is 18 miles and goes from sunset to sunrise. You will be literally walking from the dark to the light. It is about knowing there is light at the end of the darkness! 

My brother joined me for this event and it was such a neat experience to have him there to witness this all and to share this part of my life with someone. He walked in memory of his friend Lance Lash. That day he was the strength I needed - he gave me support as I walked for my friend, he gave me the strength that I needed, and he gave me smiles on a day that is hard for me. And I'm so grateful for that. He was my hero! Thank you brother for going with me, walking with me, and being the support I needed that day. 

Love, 
Megan

Comments

Popular Posts